Miles to go...

I have miles to go... please pray each day for the next leg of my Biblical journey!

Friday, October 12, 2012

Days 79 & 80: Evolving


Photo by Christof Wittwer

Acts 4:13-14

New Living Translation (NLT)
13 The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus. 14 But since they could see the man who had been healed standing right there among them, there was nothing the council could say.

***

If I were to write a great deal today, it would start with this scripture, and then go on to provide examples of how God took ordinary people with no theological education and no special training, emboldened them, and gave them authority through Him that even the religious experts can't deny. 

I'd talk about Peter, and how he told the lame man to get up and walk, in the name of Jesus. No hesitation, no doubt, just do it. There is even a song about that event that was one of my favorite childhood songs. Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I thee; In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk!" 

I'd continue with the story of Saul, aka Paul, who was one of the most hateful of all persecutors of Christianity, until God got a hold of him. I'd love to tell about that encounter, because Saul went from being an evil murderer to being Paul, the vessel God chose to bring the gospel to the Gentiles.

Those are the things I have read about today. But writing in depth about what I read is very time consuming, and life and its responsibilities are pressing in on me today. I've taken my commitment to blog through the Bible in 90 (give or take a few) days very seriously. So seriously, that there have been times I've neglected other things, and people. During these last couple of months though, God has begun teaching me that sometimes it is better to be a living sacrifice and help those in need, rather than being legalistic about the burnt sacrifices. Does that make sense?

So, while I assure you I'm sill reading, this two-day entry will have no Biblical substance. I hope that you'll enjoy yet another poem, though. 



Evolution

I’ve been on a journey.

I’ve been to the heart of the jungle,swam the depths of the sea.I’ve been a speck in the vast expanseof the barren desert, and havefloundered through the trenches of the wasteland.

Somehow I climbed to the top of a mountain,clinging desperately to each craggy rock,not knowing why I fought to survive,except that I was afraid to die.

Yet when I reached the summitI was bathed in glory as thoughI’d reached Heaven,
and God, Himself.

He didn’t reject me,
didn’t turn me away...He thanked me for coming.

I left the mountaintopto come live in a meadow.He came with me,to teach me to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment