Miles to go...

I have miles to go... please pray each day for the next leg of my Biblical journey!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 1 Gen 1-16

Sarah listening to Abraham & the Angel by Provoost.
Scripture: 
Genesis 15:2-3 (New King James Version)

2 But Abram said, “Lord GOD, what will You give me, seeing I go childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?” 3 Then Abram said, “Look, You have given me no offspring; indeed one born in my house is my heir!” 

Observation:
when God makes promises, He doesn't just make empty ones. abram, in his impatience and frustration, got a bit attitudinal with God.


Application:
boy, how i can relate to that! how many times does God promise things, and yet we (i) get impatient and skeptical, and start whining about it? i could cite about a thousand examples of things i've questioned God's sincerity about. and it's not that i don't believe Him, i DO! i absolutely believe in His promises. the attitude comes from not knowing the "how" and the "when" that follows His promise. kinda reminds me of the sermons that were given at family camp.... "why, God?"

here, i'll cite a "fictional" example that entered my mind while watching a movie last night. (the book of eli). God had promised eli that if he would carry the last bible to the west coast, He would remove all obstacles and protect him, and His Word. at one point in the movie, it appeared that God failed to protect eli at all, and i found myself getting mad, thinking "hey God, but you promised!" of course, as the movie progressed, i realized that God had not failed eli at all, and that no matter how dire the circumstances appear, He is ALWAYS going to keep His promises. sometimes in the most unexpected ways.



Prayer:
Father, i know that i can count on your promises. and i also know that i have a tendency to get impatient and try to "help" you do your job... and all that does is delay things even further while you fix the damage i do when i get in your way. Forgive me for being so arrogant as to think that you could ever need my help, and teach me (gently, Lord) that the most important thing i can "do" to help you is to keep my mouth shut, my temper in check, and pray, pray, pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment